Family traditions are what help bring families together and create special family bonds. Many times we focus on the big holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, but we forget to create special celebrations for each month of the year. By having special occasions each month, you create opportunities for your family to be together, draw closer to each other and share the same memories. These special days do not need to be elaborate or costly, but it does take a commitment to carry through with the plan. For this reason, I created a Family Planner to help me keep track of the special traditions and events that I want to celebrate with my family this year.
I first shared some downloads during Christmas. You can get the cover and some planner pages:
Family Traditions- Christmas
I’ve added some Easter planning pages too:
Family Traditions – Easter
Here are some more celebration ideas:
* When the date and the month numbers are the same, have a special celebration (January 1, Feb. 2, March 3, April 4, etc.). You might make that date a special game night, movie night, craft night, pizza night or whatever you can dream up!
*Celebrate some of the silly holidays/observances for 2010:
- 19 Popcorn Day
- 16 International Pancake Day
- 14 Children’s Craft Day
- 18 Absolutely Incredible Kid Day
- 26 Make Up Your Own Holiday
- 10 Every Day is Earth Day
12 D.rop E.verything A.nd R.ead Day
- 1 Mother Goose day
- 12 Limerick Day
- 23 Neighbor Day
- 15 Nature Photography Day
- 25 LEON Day – LEON is NOEL spelled backwards. It is now six months until Christmas. Throw a snowman party in the summer.
- 18 National Ice Cream Day
- 24 Tell an Old Joke Day
- 3 National Night Out
18 Cupcake Day
- 18 Eat an Apple Day
- 19 Talk Like a Pirate Day (see Pirate treat boxes)
- 2 World Card-making Day
- 31 National Knock-Knock Jokes Day
- 3 Sandwich Day
- 11 Guinness World Record Day
- 17 Wright Brother’s Day
- 25 Christmas
For even more ideas see Brownielocks’s calendar.
Well this is what works for me and helps me try to intentionally plan some fun times for my family. Click below to see even more Works for Me ideas.