One of my goals for this year is to find healthier products for my family to use. Over the past several months we have started using essential oils instead of turning to over the counter medicine first. One oil that was on my wish-list while I was pregnant was Gentle Baby. This would be one of the oils to have in your pregnancy oil pack! I didn’t have this oil available while pregnant, but I did get it in time to use with my newborn.
Many newborns have flaky skin. Since my guy was born in the winter, combine newborn flaky skin with winter dry air, and his skin needed some help. I have been trying to make wise choices on what my family applies topically to our bodies, so I was hesitant to use commercial lotions. Instead I turned to some staples I had on hand and made my own lotion. I knew that coconut oil and the essential oil, Gentle Baby, would make a great topical lotion for my newborn while providing many positive benefits.
Benefits of Coconut Oil on skin:
- It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin.
- It contains antioxidants to block out free radicals, and it also has lauric acid, which is a natural antimicrobial.
- Coconut oil is effective on bruises as it speeds up the healing process by repairing damaged tissues. (ref: organicfacts.net) [My little guy had some bruising from birth plus had to endure weekly heel-pricks for jaundice]
Benefits of Gentle Baby Essential Oil:
- Gentle Baby™ is a soft, fragrant combination of essential oils designed specifically for mothers and babies.
- It helps calm emotions during pregnancy and is useful for quieting troubled little ones.
- It is also soothing to tender skin.
- Every oil in Gentle Baby is for skin regeneration.
Gentle Baby Contains:
Rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora), Geranium (pelargonium graveolens), palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), lemon (Citrus limon), jasmine (Jasminum officinale), bergamot (citrus bergamia), and rose (Rosa damascena
This is a super easy recipe. I make it in small batches because a little goes a long way. You will need:
1/4 c. of organic expellar pressed coconut oil
Measure 1/4 cup of coconut oil. Add about 8 -10 drops of Gentle Baby essential oil. Mix together and place into a small container.
I use this mixture as a baby lotion, for giving my baby a massage, and can be used as a diaper rash ointment (don’t double-dip though- you don’t want to contaminate the mixture with waste.)You can also use it on adult skin too! Now coconut oil will not stay a solid depending on the temperature of your home. That’s ok! Use it as an oil mixture the same way.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. Thank you in advance for supporting this site! If you are interested in obtaining Young Living Essential Oils, feel free to contact me. There are always monthly specials or promotionals.